Friday, February 11, 2011

A Treasure Trove of Transfers

Bargain Hunter and I went to a big sale today. I'll say more about that in my next post, but right now I'm so excited about one of the things that I bought that I just can't wait to share it!

I always look for the paper ephemera and sewing supplies. On a crowded table in the back room, I found this box of patterns, which combined both interests. The dealer sold it to me as a box lot at a great price & I was pretty pleased.
Then I got it home and had a chance to really look at it . . . well, I'm way beyond 'pretty pleased'! It's an entire shoebox of old iron on transfers & patterns (1950s, probably, but maybe a little earlier, looking at the graphics) . Each sheet has directions for using them and is full of lots of different patterns -- not just one per page.For example, on the one above there are several different projects, including a rooster, a flower border, a ladies' stole, household designs and suggestions for placing them.Here are the days of the week -- for decorating dish towelsLots of them have children's patterns, like this whale . . . . . . and this kitty and duck and the bib pattern, too Even the ones that were previously cut (and there are just a few of those) are still great -- like this cleaning kitty . . . . . . and this birthday birdie There are so many sheets with so many designs and so many things to do with them! It looks like they can be ironed on 2 or 3 times before they fade out, so I think I'll keep some to use. I might have copies made (and mirror them) so I don't lose the patterns.

I was planning to sell them on Etsy (and still will) but I have absolutely no idea how to showcase them or tell all the great patterns on each one. I'll have to go through them all and decide which ones I want to keep and which I want to give away, too. I can think of a few sewing sisters -- Crit & Kally, this means you -- I'll want to give some to. It looks like there's some 'playtime' in my future!

More on today's sale in my next post (after I've looked these over more).

3 comments:

crit said...

these are so sweet. especially the one with the birthday cake. you are finding great things!!

Bargain Hunting Treasure Seeker said...

Great Find!! I LOVE the bird on the knife with the birthday cake!!!

Cat said...

Fantastic find - these are an absolute treasure !! !!

Post a Comment

This is my favorite part! Please leave me a comment -- I always love to hear from you: