Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Impulse Buy of the Year

For the past couple of years, I've been working hard at avoiding impulse buys -- they almost always turn out to be diappointments.  Last week, though, I gave in and bought this 1961-62 Barbie Dream House.  It's exactly like the one I got for Christmas back in the early 60s (and I'm NOT telling how old I was then...)

We had a baby grand piano in our living room that had been my grandfather's  -- it took up most of the floor space.  I remember that, after Christmas, I was allowed to set up the dream house and my Barbie dolls under the piano and could leave them up.  So the dream house was set up most of that winter and only was taken down when I packed it up to play barbies at a friend's house.

I've wanted one of these for years, but have always choked on the price -- it's so much money for a fold-up house with furniture made entirely of cardboard that you put together with tabs in slots!  (Now that I think about it, said like that it sounds a little bit like IKEA...)

I went to a flea market last Friday and there was this one on a table by two newer dream houses (pink plastic) and lots of tube socks and Nascar stuff.  It was priced lower than any of the others I've seen, so I didn't even hesitate!

I immediately had buyer's remorse (I do over most pricey buys) but when I got it home and really had a chance to check it out, I was pretty happy.  It has almost every piece and they're all in good shape (especially compared to some of the ones that are being offered for BIG money on Ebay and Etsy)!  It's only missing its cardboard throw pillows and 3 of the record albums.  Not bad for a 50-year-old cardboard toy!

Here's the house tour -- stylish 'Mad Men' furniture, including a tv-stereo unit, drum lamp and armless sofa and chair.  The orange chairs don't go with the dream house and I have no idea where they came from, but they are the right scale, so they'll stay.
Only 3 of the original 6 records are here -- the Lettermen, Vic Damone and the Kingston Trio --definitey a reflection on the early 60s!
It even has its books for the bookshelf, vanity mirror and the framed picture of Ken for the bedside table.
I can hardly wait to get out my Barbies (of course, I saved them all) and set it up.  If only my granddaughter was a few years older!

7 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

This is an amazing buy! I love it!!

Deanies Stash said...

Wow. Love it. My cousin had this and I was so jealous. Sometimes she let us play with her and her Barbie Dream House. We had to make do with cardboard and make our own versions. So glad you found this for yourself and at a great price!!

kris said...

I love it. I also had this same house. I remember picking it out of the Sears catalog,andwas so happy finding it under the tree. Sad to say it was stored in are basement when I was a teen, as pipe broke, it got wet and thrown away. Happy for you and thanks for the jog down memory lane. Kris

KerryCan said...

You did absolutely the right thing, buying this! It is fabulous and, really, if you ever decide to pass it along, you'll be able to get your money back. But, first, have fun playing!

ThrifterSisters said...

So many times I see things from my childhood and wonder "what the heck happened to that?". We are so lucky to be able to find these things again. Always buy them! Especially if they invoke good memories an are a good price!

Erica

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Oh that is so cute, no wonder you couldn't resist it. Great find!

Anonymous said...

I have never seen one of these before! How adorable! I wouldn't have been able to resist either!

Post a Comment

This is my favorite part! Please leave me a comment -- I always love to hear from you: