Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sunny Sales!

It was a beautiful, sunny day in Michigan today -- too bad it didn't get above 19 degrees!

When I left the house this morning, it was still dark and was only 1 degree with a wind chill of -11. Lovely. Once the sun came up, though, it made even the cold weather seem better.

I found some great stuff today. The first sale was good -- not many people there and, surprisingly, everything I had seen in the pictures that I wanted to get was still there.

I got a collection of burlap & melmac dinnerware (I just can't resist this). Did everyone's parents or grandparents have these?An Androck diamond and star sifter, swanky swig tumbler and a clothespin bag (another thing I can never resist). The nut chopper & Oven Serve custard cup came from the last sale of the day. The next two sales were frogs -- one was in a really large, new house and nothing there was over 3 or 4 years old. The other was an antique dealer who was going out of business. She hadn't reduced a single one of her prices. They were not only not estate sale prices, they were just plain high. Period.

As often happens, though, my 'throw in' sale was the best. I'd gotten it off of craigslist and it was relatively close (in the next town over). I just decided to go because I had spent so little time at the others. It was an absolute prince!

I got 4 Christmas tins
A manual typewriter & caseA Jeannette platter, ruffled candy dish and a Trenton Pottery planter A white Haeger vaseAn old, unused photo album, 2 books and some vintage Christmas cardsA pedestal strainer, 2 Acme graters, a mixed-drink spoon with (I think) a Bakelite knob and a glass rolling pin! I've been looking for one of those ever since my friend Bargain Hunter showed them to me. All in all, in spite of the frogs, it was a very successful day with lots of fun purchases that cost (and this is the best part) NOT lots of money!

2 comments:

Zootsuitmama said...

Yes - I think we all had the melmac and straw cups and dishes! I am pretty sure they came from Kroger. Great sale!

Wendy said...

Hello...delurking a moment to say that I bought a similar spoon at an antique shop and the label said it was for getting pickled onions out of a jar - and thats what I use it for too. Works a treat. :)

Post a Comment

This is my favorite part! Please leave me a comment -- I always love to hear from you: