Friday, September 30, 2011

The Benefits of Taking an Early Lunch

If you've read my blog for a while, you know that I recently went back to work at my day job.  I have been really concerned about how I'd manage to keep my Etsy and antique business going when I have almost no time to shop and prep the things I sell.

Yesterday, I saw that there was an estate sale at an old farm right by the place where I work.  I asked my boss if I could take my lunch early (9:45 is a pretty early lunch) and, when she heard that it was to go shop, she asked if she could go along.  She'd never been to an estate sale before!

We got there about 15 minutes after they opened (though I heard that, being a family-run sale, they'd opened almost an hour early).  I found some really good stuff, but it certainly felt strange to be walking through the fields, the barn and the dirt & stone wall basement in my 'business casual' work clothes!  I think my boss had fun, though she didn't buy anything.  She lived not far from there and told me the history of the family -- at one time they'd owned 100s of acres of land all around and the earliest subdivisions had their name!

Here are some of the treasures I picked up at lunch:
An assortment of Gurley candles
A large clothespin bag FULL of vintage clothespins and 2 graniteware tubs
Look at the tiny plastic ornaments -- is that the angel's bottom that we see?!
This cute little child's umbrella has a bunny for the handle
3 inlaid USA puzzles from the 1950s and 60s
A big bag of old garland -- for .25, who could pass it up?
I love these toys from the 1950s -- I used to have a red cowboy hat just like this!
This is my favorite thing == a truly kitschy, 18" high K-mart Christmas tree with little ornaments
I'm including this pic because this is my entry in JunkerNewbie's 'Would You Buy It Wednesday.   So, would you buy it for $2?


This is a very cool 1950s 45 record carrier -- never used
 I'm submitting my kitschy Christmas tree and linking up to 'Would You Buy It Wednesday" at JunkerNewbie's blog.
 I just wish there were more estate sales close enough to go to on my lunch hour!

5 comments:

Into Vintage said...

Sounds like your worlds were colliding! Nice that your boss was interested enough to attend with you ... is she a junker in training? :-)

PS I recently bought one of those thermometer keys too -- mine is pink and advertises a plumbing supply company in Portland OR.

Jill said...

Love the record case - so cute!!

★Carol★ said...

What a great boss you have, and it was well worth the trek through the field and dirt! I love everything that you bought, especially the record carrier and all of the vintage Christmas!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Absolutely I would have bought the tree-and for that price! Oh, the thrill of the hunt. And even though you are back to work, there's always time to fit in some junking!

To the Toy Box and Beyond said...

I would have bought the tree and most of the other stuff you got. i definitly would have gotten that matchstick holder.My parents had one when we were little

Post a Comment

This is my favorite part! Please leave me a comment -- I always love to hear from you: