Tuesday, March 26, 2013

New Life for an Old Table

I found this table by the side of the road back in November, 2010.  It had been raining and I'm sure the table was there a few days, because all the veneer on the cutwork sides was separated and the table was in rough shape.  It was really solid, though, and built with the care that things used to be made with back in the day, before we starting throwing out instead of fixing up.




I actually began working on this the summer after I picked it up.  I toyed with the idea of recreating the cutwork on my scroll saw, but in the end, I just removed it and filled in the 'trough' where it was set into the table.  I was prepared to replace the veneer, but didn't have to -- it held tight, in spite of being left in the rain.  The only part I really had to replace was the drawer bottom, which was too warped to flatten out and fit back into its grooves.

Then life got in the way -- the day job, the Etsy shop and booth at Livingston Antique Outlet, along with a wedding at our house last year -- and I didn't get back to the table until a few weeks ago.

Here's what it looked like when I took it to the mall last week.  The pictures aren't the best, but I actually almost forgot to take an 'after' shot!


I used homemade chalk paint and CeCe Caldwell's soft wax on it.  I added a pair of vintage glass knobs, since one of the original knobs was missing.  I think it turned out pretty well.  I wish I'd distressed it a little more, but I'm always afraid of going too far.

4 comments:

Into Vintage said...

Hooray for saving roadside furniture! It looks lovely and now can continue on for years to come.

I never know about the distressing either.

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Love it! I just wrote about pieces I had to leave behind because I have no where to keep them. You've just shown what can be done!
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

Swanky Salvage Decor said...

So, so cute! Love the color you picked and the knobs. Curbside shopping is so much fun!

ThrifterSisters said...

Great job! You've definitely inspired me to get started on some of my harder projects once the weather warms up.

Erica

Post a Comment

This is my favorite part! Please leave me a comment -- I always love to hear from you: