Friday, September 7, 2012

Lots of Little Sales

I haven't been to a great sale in a very long time.  On Thursdays after work (usually around 2:00) I go to some local garage sales, but they've always been really picked over so all the good finds and great deals are gone.  I usually try to find some good ones on Fridays before I go to the mall, but even those have been more frogs than princes.

That said, I did go to an interesting sale last Saturday.  It was advertised as 'Cleaning out grandma & grandpa's place, lots of household and linens and barn stuff.  Much of it will be free'.  Seriously -- who can pass up a sale that advertises FREE?

It was about 45 minutes from my house, down lots of country back roads.  It was really a pretty drive on a sunny day and I got there about 20 minutes before it was open.  I saw a lady in the garage and she said she was open and I should come on in.  No kidding -- most of it was free!  Nothing was spectacular and some bordered on junk, but I did get a couple of metal utility carts and a chest of drawers that need to be painted, a mid-century coffee table, small side table, some linens and many games.  There were two great finds:  a mid-century wall shelf unit (one of the geometric ones) and a Hasko Mystic Board.  My van was completely packed (one of the men there had to help me arrange it all to get everything in) and I only spent $12!  That's fun!

Unfortunately, Mr. KV helped me unload it before I remembered to take pictures.  Here's the Mystic Board, though.
It's like a Ouija board and is from the 1940s.
I'd never heard of them, but it's an interesting piece
Here are some other treasures I've picked up in the past few weeks.
Collie bookends.  They've been mended, but are still cool
A hodge-podge of glasses and cups
Linens and Cookbooks
A tidbit tray made from china (I've often wondered if the manufacturers made these or if kits were sold for do-it-your-selfers, as they're obviously made from plates & bowls)
Irmi child's step chair
Pyrex!
Child's tinware
Vintage birthday candle holders in their original boxes
A MARVELOUS mid-century drink set.
It even has a blown-glass stirrer!




Some of these treasures went to the mall and others to Etsy -- some are already sold!   It's a good thing, too, because there are gallons and gallons of gas represented in those few pictures.  I'm really looking forward to the end of garage sale season, so I can go back to estate sales without feeling like I'm missing something by not hitting the road and going from yard sale to yard sale.

3 comments:

Perfectly Printed said...

Holy Smoke!! Not bad for hitting just a few sales!! And you've gotta love the prices at hte one sale!!

chris

Anonymous said...

Wow! I've seen free boxed items...or a free section laid out on a blanket...but never have come across anything like that! Those stacking serving pieces are all over the place now...you can buy the handle and rods to make them yourself. http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nkw=cake+stand+hardware

Stacey said...

I am jealous of the table and chairs. I am keeping my eyes peeled for something similar.

Post a Comment

This is my favorite part! Please leave me a comment -- I always love to hear from you: