Monday, May 28, 2012

Mid-Century Bonanza!

I went to a sale a week ago and am just now catching up to tell you about it.  It was close to home (always a plus and a rare event around here) and was billed as a Mid-Century Bonanza.  It certainly was!  As I looked at the pictures, I saw lots of things that I wanted to try to get to early.

I got there about 20 minutes before it started and had a chance to chat with the lady whose 'estate' was for sale.  This could have been creepy, but she'd already moved to a residence community, had taken all that she wanted and was thrilled that people would want the rest.  It turned out that she was from the same part of Ohio where I'd grown up and we had lots to talk about.  She was one of those people who you talk to for a few minutes and feel you've known all your life -- utterly charming!

I was number 6 going in and the people before me weren't interested in anything mid-century (imagine)!  I hurried to the glassware first and got some great glasses, then headed right to the basement (where my favorite stuff usually is).  I ended up getting everything I'd seen in the pictures and wanted, except for a little red formica table that was just priced too high for my budget.  All of the things were priced a little higher than I would normally pay, but not ridiculously so.   I got some great things -- take a look:
A laundry cart and clothespin bag
A HUGE (24x36) paint-by-number of an ocean scene (very well painted) and an orchard basket
A box lot of 'Made in Japan' Christmas things (I don't know why the tumbler got in the picture)
A large box of Christmas ornaments (as if I don't have enough already)...
The Flinch game is from 1913. The grocery pad is shaped like a chef
A sewing box that looks like a tweed train case
Odds and ends, including a dozen marshmallow forks
Two tablecloths -- I think the birds on the blue one are roadrunners...odd
I shared this in an earlier post -- a Red Wing Pottery hanging planter (also odd, but pretty neat)
 LOTS of glasses...
Six flamingo and palm tree plastic glasses in a wood tray -- souvenirs of Hollywood Beach, FL
Eight really nice frosted daisy tumblers
Four atomic glasses in original box
I think it's funny that the box reads 'Beautiful Glasses' (in case you couldn't recognize their beauty, I guess)
Six plastic turquoise and gold glasses in a black plastic carrier -- they're special!  Look at the next picture to see why...
The glass holders swivel in the carrier so they won't tip.  It's made for serving beverages on a boat!
While I was loading up the car, the owner came over to see what I'd gotten.   She was thrilled to see that I wanted her laundry cart and clothespin bag and that I got the Christmas ornaments.  She also was excited that I bought her sewing box (she's the one who told me what it was -- I thought it was a small train case).  I'm glad that she was so cheerful about it -- it was really nice to see how happy she was in her 'new life'.  She has a new cottage and got to make some money and I got a Mid-Century Bonanza!

10 comments:

Shortbread and Ginger said...

You certainly found some great things! Sewing box is very unusual.
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

Perfectly Printed said...

Oh my you hit a great sale!! All the glassware and sewing basket! I love the laundry basket!

chris

Jill said...

All of the glasses are great!!! You are lucky to find Christmas - I hardly ever do....

PoetessWug said...

I love the glasses! Especially the ones with the flowers. :-)

★Carol★ said...

How were you ever able to sleep the night before, knowing the sale had all of that great stuff?! LOVE all of the glasses, but especially the turquoise ones. Congrats on all of your finds!

Perfectly Printed said...

Anne, I have nominated you for the Liebster Award..an award for blogs with less than 200 followers. I hope you accept this award!

XXOO chris

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

Hi there first time at your blog!!! :) :) Wow you found some wonderful treasures! Not sure which are my favorites...so many good finds!! :) Have a lovely day, xo Holly

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

ps. i'm your newest follower :)

JunkStuffTreasures said...

WOW- what great items you bought! It's a treasure trove!

emily alix said...

OMG! Great finds! Love the Christmas goodies and laundry cart especially!!! :) --{thrifty vintage kitchen}

Post a Comment

This is my favorite part! Please leave me a comment -- I always love to hear from you: