Monday, October 10, 2011

Disaster in Kitschy Vintage land!

I was all set to blog tonight about a new project I just finished over the weekend, but a household disaster has changed my plans!

We bought our 1962 ranch from an older man who was a little cheap frugal.   When he had a new boiler put in for our baseboard hot-water heat, he wouldn't let the installers put in new piping.  He insisted that the aged, corroded copper pipe that snakes around the basement in odd, spider-like contortions was 'still good'.  Every plumber who looks at the strange piping in the boiler room just shakes his head and mumbles. 

Unfortunately 'still good' is no longer good enough!  Tonight I went downstairs to find my storage & staging are flooded by a steady drip from a corroded joint.   The water pooled out and then the same area rug that keeps my tootsies toasty in the winter wicked all the water through my entire craft room!    The main 'living' part of the basement is still dry -- including Mr. KV's man-cave (that's a relief!) -- but Kitschy Vintage land is a soggy mess and every box is soaked. 

So Mr. KV and I just finished moving everything that's dry off all of the surfaces so the restoration people can come in dry it all out (after the plumber fixes the latest corroded pipe failure). 

Some things that didn't get wet were a quilt my great-grandmother made, my dad's ukelele, my grandmother's (broken) violin and all of the family pictures stored in the basement.    This is just another reality-check reminder that it's all just STUFF and most of it has very little real importance!

Now, maybe I'll get around to telling you about my newest project tomorrow, after clean-up has begun.

4 comments:

Into Vintage said...

Ugh. Hope there wasn't too much damage. It's always something, isn't it? :-) Wishing you a much better day tomorrow!

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

Oh no - what a nightmare! Sorry to hear things got soaked but thank goodness some precious things survived, I'm guessing the quilt would have been ruined if it had got a drenching.

The White Pear Tree said...

Oh Gosh, who needs that! At least your most treasured keepsakes survived. I've taken to story everything in plastic bins for that very reason, just in case. Hope you get everything resolved soon.

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Bummer about the water mess...guess new pipes are in order.
deb

Post a Comment

This is my favorite part! Please leave me a comment -- I always love to hear from you: