Monday, August 8, 2011

A Cute Kitty Key Holder!

I think I've told you before, but once a month our antique mall owners host 'Dealer Day' for two hours before the mall opens. They always provide brunch (very nice!) and allow the dealers a chance to work on their booths without the customers there (so they can make as much mess as they need to). It's a really nice bonus to give us this and is one of the many reasons I like our mall so much.

Another thing Dealer Day allows is time for the dealers to shop each others' booths -- and that can be deadly! This past Sunday, I didn't even have to leave my row to find something I wanted. I went across the walkway to my friend Sandy's booth and there was this sweet homemade kitty key holder and shelf! Isn't it darling? Sandy had just hung it up and as soon as I saw it I took it down and told her she'd better have something else to take its place, because that kitty was coming home with me.

I put it on top of my bins and as other dealers walked by and thought it was mine to sell, I could have sold it 2 or 3 times over. There's no way I'd part with him, though.

I love to buy homemade shelves and wall decor, including potholder holders and key holders. They were often made from a common pattern that was supplied by mail order companies (I even have some of the patterns at home). I thought the kitty looked familiar, so I checked out this little guy in my studio at home. Look familiar? I think the pattern-maker must have suggested a way to detail it, because the pockets and faces are so similar -- but the expressions on their faces are so different and individual to the 'artist'!I also have these 2 teapot potholder holders, which were obviously made from a similar pattern, too, though the 'artist' may have improvised a little. Anyway, I'm pretty happy with my little kitty key holder treasure!

1 comment:

Cat said...

Thanks for stopping by :) I feel your Mothers pain measles followed by chicken pox - that has been me for the past 6 weeks ;'( my poor lil man is about to miss another week of school . . .

Post a Comment

This is my favorite part! Please leave me a comment -- I always love to hear from you: