Thursday, June 23, 2011

Good Friends & Good Thrifting

Last week, some good friends who moved away over a year ago were in town for a visit. We had so much fun --
went to a Tigers game and saw the Tigers WIN played some cutthroat Mexican Train dominoes and just spent time catching up.

Then they left to finish out their time with family in another part of the state. Even though her husband had to go back to work in Minnesota, my friend was able to visit for one more time last night and this morning we hit two family-run estate sales. We were in and out in 45 minutes because she was on a schedule, but we still managed to find some great stuff! The prices were all over the place so I may have paid too much for one thing and gotten a steal on another. There was one 'why didn't I buy that' moment, but I'll just have to force myself to forget about it! Here's what I did buy:
An alphabet enamelware child's table
Galvanized treasures -- a watering can and a small trash can with a carry handle and a clothespin bagA complete set (!) of Libbey Merry-Go-Round glasses, a contemporary (but discontinued) Rose Fiesta sugar & creamer set and some other odds & ends a mirrored vanity tray (I've been buying lots of these lately), more melmac, a wooden microscope box and a Fred Press trivet. Sitting here with it is the Fred Press carafe I got at the Salvation Army yesterday But this is the one thing I bought that gets the award for 'most unusual purchase' - an accordion!It was priced right and I loved the look of it. I have no idea what I'll do with a 50-year-old, out of tune accordion that plays (yes, of course I tried it out -- but in the privacy of my own home). Maybe one of my musical sons will want it or I might put it in the booth. It's a great conversation-starter, if nothing else!

I hope you had fun thrifting this week and found lots of happy things!

3 comments:

Pinkadot Quilts said...

LOve the fabric on the clothes pin holder!

bethany said...

Are you going to put any of those vanity trays on etsy? I'm in the market for something like that to store my glasses and wedding ring when I sleep.

Sunny Simple Life said...

I so would have snagged that table and the galvanized goodies. Sounds like you guys had lots of fun.

Post a Comment

This is my favorite part! Please leave me a comment -- I always love to hear from you: