Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A Fun Flea Market Weekend!

This weekend was so much fun! It was super-hot (for June in Michigan) with temps in the high 80s & even low 90s, but the flea markets were worth braving the heat.

On Saturday, my friend Bargain Hunter (BH) and I went to Midland Antiques Festival. It covers 80 acres at the Midland County Fairgrounds and they advertise having 1000 vendors. I don't know if they hit that number, but it was certainly big! In a way, it was disappointing. They raised the admission to $6 and there weren't as many bargains as there have been in past years -- I think there were less regular sellers and more antique dealers. Many of the prices were as high (or higher) than in a mall. BH hardly bought anything, but I found several things for the booth and Etsy (and, of course, a few things to keep).

Then on Sunday, BH and I went to the Antiques Flea Market at Greenmead Historical Village in Livonia, Michigan. It's an old farm dating back to the 1820s that the city of Livonia has turned into a historical park and moved other historic buildings (like a church and a store) onto, as well. The flea markets are held twice a year to raise funds for upkeep of the park.

The vendors were, for the most part, 'just plain folks' -- not dealers -- and the bargains (combined with the $2 admission) made for a great day! By the time we left I had only $5 in my wallet -- I'd spent ALL of my shopping money over the two days! BH got lots of great things on Sunday at Greenmead, as you can see by her very full granny cart -- the red one on the right. You can read her blog post about it here.Here are my flea market treasures:3 Pyrex fridgies without lids, a Hall refrigerator pitcher, a red & white speckled Melmac divided dish, Pyrex casserole, Hoosier spice jars & an Ohio Art recipe box. I'm keeping the turquoise fridgie, the pitcher and the Melmac bowl.2 great retro pitchers, a cherry pitter jar, a Made in Japan piggy bank and a figurine of 3 bluebirds on a branch
A summer scene paint-by-number (I can never resist those!), a cabinet door with a homemade flower on the front and two tiny pictures
Two Little Golden Books and 4 sewing patterns from 1954 - including two for maternity clothes (no, they're NOT for me!)
Five nursery wall hangings from the 1950s made by the Dolly Toy Company in Tipp City, Ohio
An apple green drying rack that will be a great display item for linens. Did I mention that I'm taking on a second booth (all by myself) in July? Talk about stepping out in faith...sometimes I think I'm just crazy! Anyway, I was really watching for possible display items this weekend and thought this drying rack was just perfect. The tablecloth on it is very large and I got it for just $3. It has some stains but will be great to use for making pillows or tote bags.I always am drawn to homemade wood shelves, stools & totes! They seem to have such a history... I got a few this weekend. A wooden letter sorter and a box that I'm going to put a sawtooth hanger on to mount it on a wall. These will also be great for display until (if) they sell!
A great homemade green silverware tote, a pink seersucker nursery pillow cover with little ducks and a mixer that goes on a jar. Now I get to treasure-hunt for the jar to go with it! The western patterned napkin, gingham tablecloth and classic "What Shall I Cook Today?" cookbook were each 50 cents.
And I really liked this little Made in Japan figure of a crabby mouse in an apple. I have NO idea why I like it, but I do!Two wonderful long (but narrow) pieces of barkcloth with a great retro pattern and colors (the picture shows one folded in half). These will make great throw pillows. A milk bottle crate from the East End Creamery. When I researched this, I found out the dairy was in East Grand Rapids and was owned and operated by the family of the author, Chris Van Allsburg. Knowing the history makes it that much more special. I think it will be a great way to display swanky swigs and tumblers.
And last, but not least, a big bag of kettle corn -- one of the wonderful tastes of summer!All in all, it was a fun weekend of fun finds and good times spent with a good friend. You just can't ask for anything better than that!

4 comments:

Pinkadot Quilts said...

Wow looks like a good day!

Jill said...

What a haul!!! Great finds and kettlecorn to end off the day - YUMMM!!

The White Pear Tree said...

Great haul! Don't you love how maternity clothes flared out, to "conceal" your condition? Nowadays, the trend is to wear really tight clothes to show off your baby bump!

Looove the nursery wall hangings, so charming!

Bargain Hunting Treasure Seeker said...

It WAS a fun weekend! Lots of great treasures, fun times a good friend and kettle corn-who can ask for more?!?!

Post a Comment

This is my favorite part! Please leave me a comment -- I always love to hear from you: