Saturday, October 15, 2011

Fast & Furious Thrifting

Lately, I feel like I'm always running and that everywhere I go, I'm in a hurry.  So it should have come as no surprise that I was rushing through sales this morning!

My son & his girlfriend are in town this weekend and I had to drop off a van-full of stuff at recycling, go the antique mall to 'fluff' the booth and then meet them & Mr. KV for lunch.  So what else did I do but add 3 sales to stop at along the way!  I ended up adding a fourth one I saw a sign for, so all-told, I traveled 42 miles round trip, hit 4 family-run estate sales and ran my errands -- all in a little over 2 hours.

It was worth the trip, since I found some good things (and some unusual things, at that).  Here's what I got in my fast & furious shopping spree:
The two tablecloths aren't great, but they were cheap...

The photo album only has a few pages that have pictures -- it's mostly unused.  I think I'll sell the photos on Etsy
This spiral bound cake decorating book is from the 1950s -- It's for the woman who wants to start a business in her own home and is subtitled "Learn so you can Earn" -- don't we ALL want to do that?
The weird garland is plastic spruce and has big jingle bells.  It would be perfect for "Would You Buy it Wednesday?"
These were my big splurge -- especially the two at the top.  They're reverse painted on curved glass.  They're really pretty, but I found out that the one on the right has a crack at the bottom right that blended in with the pattern.  Too bad.  I also can never resist any kind of vintage advertisement, and especially pictorial thermometers.  The one on the right (bottom)just says Phone 50.  I wonder how old it is?
This is a great clock -- it's not really mosaic, but look-alike metal
 At one sale, I went out to the garage, which was loaded with workshop stuff, including a 6' long stretch of wall with floor to ceiling cigar boxes, all filled with hardware stuff & labeled.  I asked how much they were and the worker got a BIG box and said "Fill this up for $5".  That was all I needed to hear!  I got so many cigar boxes full of great old stuff and a wooden cheese box and a cigarillo box (which I think I'll keep).
Each one of these boxes is full of old hardware stuff!
 I had so much fun looking through all the boxes and I spent WAY too much time there -- the worker told me I was "his kind of woman", especially when I asked if he had a pancake compressor for sale.  I guess some girls like jewels and some girls like old drawer pulls, hinges and mousetraps...
Add caption
All in all, it was a pretty successful way to spend a couple of hours on a rainy, chilly fall morning!  Now I just have to wait for the floor and walls to dry out in the basement and then I can start 'playing with' all my new junk stuff.

5 comments:

Protector of Vintage said...

You did well!! Love that clock.

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

Wowser, another great haul. Loving the cigar boxes.

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Great finds - those cigar boxes were a real bargain!
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

Into Vintage said...

Fill a box for $5? I hope you gave him a big hug! :-)

Bargain Hunting Treasure Seeker said...

Hey Auntie! I love your blog and I picked you for a Liebster Award! Check out my blog for the details!! :)

Post a Comment

This is my favorite part! Please leave me a comment -- I always love to hear from you: