Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Why I Love What I Do...

In my Etsy shop remarks, I say that sometimes I feel like a matchmaker who gets an invitation to the wedding.  It's the best feeling in the world to connect someone with an item they've been looking for or have a childhood memory of.

Last week I listed a signed photo I'd picked up of the Ted Herbert Orchestra from the swing era.  If you're from New England, you may know Ted Herbert, but growing up in Ohio and living in the Midwest, I'd never heard of him.  I did some research (one of my favorite parts of any listing) and learned that he'd been a band leader in New England for decades, taught at university in Manchester, New Hampshire and had well-known music store there, too.


The photo sold within one day.  I just got the nicest review from the buyer, with this comment:
As a Manchester native who ended up as a music teacher, Ted Herbert and his music store hold a special place in my heart. This picture is so cool, great shape, I'm so excited to have found it! I absolutely love it!

Right after Christmas, I sold a Dillon's Grocery Store glass.  I'd never heard of Dillon's (a big name in the Kansas City area) but learned all about it as I researched the glass.  It, too, sold very quickly to someone who grew up in Kansas City and wanted a little bit of her childhood.
If you've read my blog for a while, you know I'm hooked on souvenirs -- especially pennants!  I have over a hundred of them...some listed, many waiting to be listed and some I'll never part with.  (If there's a pennant you're looking for, message me...there's a good chance that I have it!)

I sold a Mohawk Valley pennant not long ago and this is what I heard from the buyer:

I just wanted to let you know that the pennant is great, and the graphics are amazing. I live fairly close to the Mohawk Trail, and have even traveled on the illustrated "Hairpin Turn" in a snowstorm. Yesterday was a lousy day at work, and finding your package in my mailbox made it a little bit better.


What could be better than making someone's day?  I love what I do!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I sell vintage on Etsy, too, and completely understand the thrill you get when just the right person come along for each item!

Post a Comment

This is my favorite part! Please leave me a comment -- I always love to hear from you: